Join us for the first Bofin Swim!
Date: Saturday 14th September 2019
Enjoy a refreshing swim in crystal clear waters at Inishbofin’s East End bay, with full safety support, refreshments and join us in the evening a bit of island craic at the after party!
This unique event in aid of Down Syndrome Galway takes place on beautiful Inishbofin Island, situated on Connemara’s stunning Wild Atlantic Way. The island is steeped in history, and is renowned for its traditional music and unspoilt sandy beaches.
- 750m / 1 lap
- 1500m swim / 2 laps
Registration fEE €60 (EARLY BIRD €50) includes:
- Return ferry crossing
- Race entry
- Sponsorship pack
- Light refreshments provided after race
- BBQ with live music at 7pm on Saturday evening
As this is a charity event, we require all race participants to raise a minimum of €100 sponsorship for Down Syndrome Galway’s speech and language therapy, education and social projects. This charity provides vital services to over 100 children and adults in Galway city and county, and receives no government funding.
- Ferry departs Cleggan at 11.30am, 2pm, 7.30pm (this ticket is included in your registration fee)
- 3pm Pre- race briefing, collect race numbers and hand in sponsorship/donations.
- 4pm (TBC) Long Race commences
- 4pm (TBC) Short Race commences
- Post event refreshment at East End marquee
- 7pm Barbeque with live music at the Dolphin Hotel
NB Race times approximate and subject to change
- Ferry departs Inishbofin at 10am, 1pm and 5pm
Non participants are welcome to attend the Saturday night event, tickets cost €20 – participants can book these for their friends through their njuko booking.
For participants wishing to depart Inishbofin on Saturday evening, the ferry leaves at 5pm
Participants must book their own accommodation. Please visit the Inishbofin website for a full list of hotels, B&Bs, self-catering cottages and hostel options. http://www.inishbofin.com
To get to Inishbofin…take the ferry from Cleggan in Northwest Connemara, on the Clifden to Westport stretch of the N59. Eircode H91 TC6C 53°36.75N10°12.45W
Citylink buses meet the ferry in Cleggan http://www.citylink.ie/
The timetable for the Island Discovery ferry can be viewed at http://www.inishbofinislanddiscovery.com/
NB: You must leave your car at Cleggan, foot passengers only on the ferry. There is some road side parking available and several carparks charging €3 per day.
- For more information visit www.downsyndromegalway.ie
- For information on beautiful Inishbofin visit www.inishbofin.com
- Telephone enquiries to Pat Coyne – 0872850812
- Wetsuits recommended for safety reasons
- Support will be provided by RIBS and kayaks
- East End Bay is a very sheltered bay but may be choppy is certain weather conditions.
- Sea swimming is different to pool swimming. The shock of entering cold water can affect your breathing and make you tighten up. Also the water may be choppier than you are used to.
This event is only for people who are used to sea swimming.